I think there's some XSS injections on JGO

This happens every time I load a page on this site:

Along with that there is a weird Russian site that also pops up in TCPView when I go to this site:

Although that might be something regarding the ad pictures or the latest projects, but I have no idea how those work.

My assumptions that it’s JavaScript come from the fact that this only happens on java-gaming.org and no other sites and that Malwarebytes said the connection was outbound.

Well, it’s to be expected the connection is outbound: it’s the browser downloading an image - to be exact: this image:

http://trashbox.ru/files/239477_62afc8/device-2014-07-01-204402.png

from this thread - displayed in the sidebar:
http://www.java-gaming.org/topics/iconified/33739/view.html

You get a notification because somebody might be (or was, at some point in time) hosting malware on that domain - which is to be expected on a site that allows uploading arbitrary content.

That doesn’t mean loading a image from said domain is unsafe.

Once again so called “anti-malware” ends up causing scares, paranoia, false positives, and generally being useless and more harm than good :emo:

Seriously… everyone. Just stick to MSSE.

Cas :slight_smile:

Back then, when I was working for a game server/vpn hosting company we did multiple tests out of curiosity to compare anti-virus softwares and MSSE is one of the worst.
Seriously, it didn’t detect half of the harmful stuff we threw at it. It was okay-ish once, but not anymore.
I’ve been using Avast on my PC for a few months now and it seems to get the job done, although it’s not the most robust AV out there either but in exchange it’s free and it’s out of the way with relatively low CPU/memory usage. :slight_smile:

IMHO it still is. False positives remain the biggest threat to usability after the main problem of grinding your machine to a halt, and MSSE does very well when you look at those two factors.

Cas :slight_smile:

I used to advocate for MSSE, but after the recent poor ratings, I switched to Avast, set up daily quick scan and weekly full scans, and set it to silent. I’ve never had any false positives and have had no issues with it.

I just uninstalled avast for malwarebytes. Even when I set Avast to silent mode or whatever it still annoyed the shit out of me, being completely anal whenever I went to a lot of websites. Simply doing research was getting impossible because the thing was blocking everything.
This is why I use Arch ::slight_smile: