Shaders and LWJGL: where to start?

Hi, everybody, there were a few old topics about this and I looked through some of the older posts but many were outdated, and I didn’t want to Necro any old posts ;D. My problem is I want to learn to use shaders, but to do that I need to learn the basics of LWJGL and how it works. I’m using Slick2D to make my game so I already have LWJGL in the project, but I’m not even sure where to begin. How should I start this off? Any tutorials that explain what I should be doing that are specific to LWJGL? Thank you in advance, this has been bothering me quite a bit.

Why not learn? :slight_smile:

[/quote]
And for future reference: Here is a great tool for finding help

Apparently I’m really thick and reading through that tutorial a third time made it finally click. I feel really stupid :-\

For some Slick-specific shader resources see this post:
http://slick.javaunlimited.net/viewtopic.php?p=30305#p30305

Really though, if you plan to pursue shaders you should be using LibGDX, LWJGL, or the lwjgl-basics API. Hell, you could even use the lwjgl-basics sprite batcher and shader utilities within a Slick2D game container if you were really determined to continue using Slick.

Also please let me know if there is a way I can make those tutorials more clear for newbies. :slight_smile:

The main reason I’m using slick is because I learned it early on and I’m used to it, but I would consider transitioning to libGDX if it does change a lot. Slick was great for learning the basics but this changing libraries is getting annoying… This is the 2nd time I’ll be changing for this project alone. Thanks for the help and the tutorial!

EDIT: now using libGDX! thanks guys!