Start Fresh?

Drenius is our very own Marvin the Paranoid Android, don’t worry about it. Carry on getting it sorted. Rome wasn’t built in a day etc etc. but at least sort out the domains and post a URL soon so we can start using it and tailoring it to what we want it to be. The very first and only topic in the new forum should be “what do we want to have in the forum” and we can start the discussion in there.

Cas :slight_smile:

The first post is already there by elect :slight_smile:

URL is https://www.jvm-gaming.org/

Currently contains the dump Riven provided, forums will be deleted when the next dump comes in, if there is a consensus on the new setup can apply it when the new version comes up

To get access send me the email you want associated with you (last dump had no emails). I will then activate your account and you can then login.

I tried logging in there, but am not getting any email. Trying to login via Google seems to be going to register a new account with a different user name instead.

That’s because there is no email to send to or to link with Google. As I mentioned previously the last dump of data had no emails so your user id there has a dummy imported address (as its a mandatory field)

Can we not just go through the ordinary registration process?
Aha I see why not

Yep, I got it now. By the way, I wanted to comment regarding your post: 2D Rigid Body Rope Physics

Are we also going to keep the current forum as read-only? If so, I don’t get the point of migrating the dumps. Can you clarify that?

My view was the data would completely migrate to the new forum. The existing hostname would eventually map to the new forum and the new forum would URL rewrite the old links to point to the new forum link

I would like to formally apologize to @Drenius for the things I said yesterday in this forum. this is a java gaming forum, not a call people out forum. @Drenius I know is smart as shit, and maybe we have different views on things, but this forum is not the time or the place to worry about that type of thing. So, @Drenius, I am sorry, lets just get this forum up and running well.

Thank you. As discussed in PM, I do not think you are without a point here.

Also, this seems like a good point to formally acknowledge and appreciate the effort made since and before by abcdef, SHC and princec. Thanks guys.

Thank you @Drenius, but I feel I didn’t do much here. I did attempt porting the forum, but now I think I have chosen the wrong target. Flarum made 3 releases after I started my attempt of migration, but still, it is not stable.

Also, my lack of experience with SQL and PHP has hindered the progress. Much of the thanks belongs to @abcdef, he is the one who pulled this feat off successfully. I should also appreciate @philfrei here, he tried a lot to guide the efforts into the right path and gave me hints on where to look when I told him that I’m stuck.

Anyways, I’m happy to see this moving into the correct direction. If you guys think I can be of any help, feel free to reach out to me.

I did bugger all too, except maybe grease the wheels…

Guys, I tried to login with my jgo credentials but it says my password or username is incorrect. Tried to send a forgotten password email and it said the username is registered and I must have gotten the email, but I got nothing.

I might missed something though.

@mudlee - As mentioned before the emails were not provided in the test dump so there is no place to send recovery emails too. If you pm your email I will add it in the back end then send you an activation email.

We are all a happy family again :). It’s a team effort and we all help out where we can.

The hard part of having a migration that is possible is complete and we just need to schedule in a day for it to happen (lock down here, migrate there)

@Drenius is right in a way too, there is a lot we can now configure and reorganise in the new discourse to make it work well. The good news is the changes are very easy to make and the other good news is we can do it on an ongoing basis once we move. The bad news is you are all going to have to help in suggesting what those changes are :). Drenius has already helped with some colour suggestions (which look good).

I do particularly like the dark theme :slight_smile:

Ok, so… progress update?

The new forum is functional and awaits users.

@princec

We are waiting on @Riven to login again to arrange the migration itself with a new data set and emails included and a date that we can work together to make it happen. Then need to transfer the domain across.

I’m not really sure how complicated the SQL is for this site, but judging on the SQL we used for a pretty big retail site, I would bet 100 dollars you could learn whatever you need to in like a day if you tried. Pretty sure you would just “get it”.

LOL I mailed “abcdefg” instead of “abcdef”.

OK, trying again. Looking forward to helping with the new site. I’ve talked earlier about possible category changes and additions. Am holding off on more suggestions until things get a bit more settled.

It’s not that I didn’t get. I got things to work, but they are not properly optimized. For porting half of the users, it took around 6 hours. And then, Flarum which is what I tried to port to, kept changing and isn’t stable, requiring changes in my script.